All change

The first day went well. I collected A and her car-share companion B, along with young Master Lovely and they were full of beans, chatting about which teachers they liked and about which kids in their forms were potential recipients of the first consequence.

I don’t know if it is just me, but A already seems more grown up. I remember T starting secondary school and he did seem to grow up overnight. A has always been a bit of an “old soul” and I have never really worried about her organisation skills (she is her mother’s daughter after all) but she is remarkably well prepared and decisive.

Today is the first day with the rest of the school in attendance. Yesterday was orientation day and year 7 had the school to themselves. So this morning, for the first time in 3 years, T and A were both up at the same time for breakfast and using the bathroom. I am not sure how well this would have gone if T was not in his current incapacitated state, but it all seemed to go pretty smoothly. Luckily, K was on hand this morning to assist so tomorrow may be a different story altogether.

It was all change for me too, as I am no longer seeing them both off from the door and waiting for them to return in the afternoon. I am now driving them both in each day and collecting them, along with B&W our car-share friends. The car-share won’t be able to start until T is out of plaster so in the interim I am taking and collecting each day. I haven’t run the gauntlet of rush hour traffic for about 15 years. And this morning was not pretty. I picked B&W up and then sat waiting for 5 minutes to rejoin the high street and then another 15 minutes to actually leave the village. Not really the best start to an already stressful morning (no-one else was stressed, just me wondering where I would park to get T and his wheelchair out; how he will get on today on crutches as he is insisting he doesn’t want to us the wheelchair; how A will get on again today). Hopefully, tomorrow will be less busy?  Who the hell am I kidding?

So, today has been a bit different. I am home alone all day, with no-one to provide food for or make drinks for or help downstairs or talk to. It’s all a bit quiet and boring really. Tomorrow, the office beckons for the first time since the end of May so that will be another change to the routine, and actually quite a welcome one. My quiet, untroubled little world has been thrown off course in the last month and I am ready to get back into a routine of sorts, albeit a different one to the one I have been used to for a few years. They say a change is as good as a rest. I could do with a good nights’ sleep but maybe this will be just as beneficial?



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s